discuss: New doc suggestion

Subject: Re: New doc suggestion
From: "Philip W. L. Fong" ####@####.####
Date: 24 May 2002 21:45:20 -0000

Hi

--- Alexander Bartolich ####@####.#### wrote:
> Ok, I'll bite the bait. ;=)
> Can you give more details what you want to cover?

As the leader of the Aegis VM project, I recruited a number of
university students who volunteer to help out with the development.
These students were no doubt talented and enthusiastic programmers
--- I know that because some of them were A-grade students in
a course I taught.  However, there was a problem:  Many of them
grew up in a Windows culture, and were new converts to the
UNIX world.  To them, the entire UNIX development environment
is totoally alien: cvs, autoconf, automake, libtool, make, emacs,
man pages, etc etc.  I ended up spending considerable effort in
initiating them into the UNIX culture, and helping them to become
productive in a GNU/Linux build environment.  After a while,
I figured there might be a gap that needs to be filled, a gap
that I hope this HOWTO can fill.

This document gives the reader a tour of what the UNIX development
environment has to offer. It describes the components usually found
in the toolboxes of open source developers, and points the readers to
selected web resources that introduce the use of those tools. The
goal of all these is to help the readers to become productive
quickly in a GNU/Linux environment. This document can be used by
a young hacker as a syllabus for a self-guided study, or it
could also be used by a senior developer as a resource which he
or she could refer to when an apprentice asks for help.

The tentative table of contents looks somewhat like the following:

* Introduction
* Matters of Mentality
* The Culture of the Hacker Community
* Linux Distribution
* Interacting with the Shell
* Where to find Documentation
* Installing Software Packages
* Programmer's Editor: Where is my IDE?
* Building Programs: First Principles
  - gcc
  - dynamic libraries
  - make
  - gdb
* Building Programs: Enter the Autotools
  - software configuration with autoconf
  - using automake to generate Makefiles conforming to the
    GNU coding standard
  - building dynamic libraries with libtool
* Program Maintenance
  - diff and patch
  - cvs
  - tags/etags
  - doxygen
* Contributing to Open Source Projects
  - open source licences
  - patching practice

Most of what I am planning to do is just to gather in one place
pointers to selected web resources what will help young hackers get
started in the GNU/Linux development environment, and to give
an idea of how all the tools fit together.

So, what do you think?  Will LDP be interested in this kind
of a project?

Philip

=====
* Philip W. L. Fong