discuss: GFDL license

Subject: Re: GFDL license
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2002 17:21:31 -0000

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 04:41:51PM +0000, Phil Kerr wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm just about to update the MIDI-HOWTO and i've incorporated the
> SoftSynth HOWTO into it.  The author mentioned that although he's put
> the document under the GFDL, which is the same as the MIDI-HOWTO, he's a
> little concerned that 'this maybe isn't as free as I blindly expected
> from the GNU trademark'.
>
> I'm under the impression that the license is adherent to the notion of
> copyleft so I'm now concerned that the license may have to change again.
>
> Is this a misunderstanding with the author or is there something brewing
> that I've not heard about.

It allows you to place invariant text, front matter, and so on, that
nobody can change. In that sense, it can be considered not as free, I
suppose. However, those features are optional and can be disclaimed in
your license statement.

For detailed analysis of licenses and so on, you would have to go to
other sources. The LDP will not specify which license you use, except
that it must make the document free to use, distribute, and modify for
commercial and noncommercial purposes, but allow charging for it.
Otherwise, it cannot be included in Linux distributions which is one
of our major methods of distribution.

Regards,

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

If we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a
wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform
their discretion by education.
	-- Thomas Jefferson