discuss: Re: Beginning of outline for policies

Subject: Re: Fwd: Beginning of outline for policies
From: Alexander Bartolich ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2002 21:01:03 -0000

Guylhem P Aznar wrote:
 > [...]
 > Then what about an "unrated" section, where every document
 > (as longs as it deals with GNU/Linux related subjects),
 > in every format would be accepted, without any proofreading?

I think that rating should happen in shades of gray, not black or white.
Similar to the way stories are created on kuro5hin. They might linger
around for a long time, and then suddenly appear on the title page
once they reach a certain thresh-hold.

 > This "playground" area could be a place for newbie authors to try
 > to show what they can do before making their document a full
 > fledged HOWTO in linuxdoc or docbook.

IMHO technical design of this structure is not easy.
Accepting plain ASCII instead of SGML can ease the learning curve.
But on this level I expect contributions to be just a few pages.
I can imagine two project types where that can be used to build
something large:

a) a HOWTO presenting simple tests and exercises, a "try this at home
    on your fance machine and report results".

b) a Q-A. Make up your own questions, find a place where it fits
    the outline, and give your best answer. Eliminating duplicates,
    and shuffling the outline around will get messy.

I imagine something along the lines of "2-Cent Tips" and
"The Answer Gang" known from the Linux Gazette.

Anyway, the important thing is to let the contributors fight it
out themselves. I think that similar to group pressure in usenet
this might weed out trolls by itself.