discuss: Re: Beginning of outline for policies

Subject: Re: Fwd: Beginning of outline for policies
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2002 14:39:02 -0000

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:09:46AM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 04:47:52PM -0500, David Merrill wrote:
> > The approach in Lampadas is to allow all registered users to rate a
> > document on a 1-10 scale. If enough people rate documents, which seems
> > likely since I expect many users, the values should be fairly
> > reliable.
>
> >From what I've seen from a review system where readers posted short
> reviews of books and also rated them, the ratings may be very unreliable.
> In one case a book was terrible, but friends of the author rated it
> excellent.  The opposite case can happen too if the author has enemies.
> What we can do is to take a close look at a doc that receives both very
> high and very low ratings.  One of the above situations may be
> happening.  One might also want to investigate the people who falsified
> their evaluation to try to guess why they did it.  But that would likely
> be too much work for us.
>
> Another problem is that if a doc reads well, many readers may rate it
> well even though it contains serious technical errors.  This is
> especially true if the errors are for situations that the evaluators
> don't encounter.

Yes, that could happen. Any suggestions on how to prevent it, though?

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Microsoft thinks innovation is putting stuff into software. We think
innovation is taking stuff out.
	--Oracle Vice President Jeremy Burton