discuss: Re: Beginning of outline for policies

Subject: Re: Beginning of outline for policies
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 19 May 2002 16:58:42 -0000

On Sunday 19 May 2002 04:29, David Merrill wrote:
> What we do not want is for an editor to edit a document without
> coordinating with an active maintainer. That is just rude and
> uncalled for.

I agree.

When I review/edit a document, I always send an edited COPY of the
source document with my changes along with a diff text file so the
author can see exactly what I've done.

Would just be great if they'd respond.

editing should only take an hour - if it's that easy why isn't
everybody volunteering?  Why are the statistics as low as David
Lawyer quoted for unedited documentation?  This is a new process, and
the 28 of us who volunteered (oddly I'm number 29) are trying as fast
as our bandwidth will allow.  I think the main problem has been lack
of contact - authors not responding, at least in my experience.

I think this debate borders on silly.  If editors aren't necessary,
then why is much of the documentation out of date and hard to read?

Go compare the LDP's standards to those of KDE documentation.  Have
you seen the standards from them?  Fortunately for KDE, having those
standards allows their documentation to be distributed wherever KDE
is.  How many distros would that be again?

Tabatha