discuss: Re: Beginning of outline for policies

Subject: Re: Beginning of outline for policies
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 19 May 2002 07:37:15 -0000

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 07:45:11PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 09:22:59PM -0400, Tabatha Persad wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 May 2002 18:04, David Lawyer wrote:
> > >
> > > Another comment is that I'm not sure if LDP should have any
> > > "editors". Most of them could be called "reviewers".   The word
> > > "editor" sounds too dictatorial.  What about saying that Joy is the
> > > "quality control" person. Her title would just be "quality
> > > control".   What else could we call her besides editor?
>
> I didn't realize that her full title is "Review Coordinator and
> Collection Editor".  So since "editor" not all that prominent in her
> title, I think it's OK for her to continue using her present title.  But
> I still don't want to call reviewers "editors".  See below.

I'm not going to reply point by point to your email, David, but I
would like to express my own opinion about the proper role of the
review/editor.

Basically, their title should reflect what they do. If they only
review documents, provide a summary of issues, for example, then they
are a reviewer. Like if they only ask the author to make changes.

If they actually make changes (which would be after talking to the
author ONLY unless the doc is unmaintained), they are an editor. Even
if those changes are sent to the author for him to review, approve,
and submit.

Either of those roles are valid roles, and roles that people
should be free to take up. There is no reason we cannot have an
"editor" who actually does editing! As long as we work hand in hand
with the author, it is a good thing to do.

What we do not want is for an editor to edit a document without
coordinating with an active maintainer. That is just rude and uncalled
for.

My $.02.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

My father was a relentlessly self improving bloungerie owner from Belgium
with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15
year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.
		-- Dr. Evil, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me