discuss: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]

Subject: Re: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 17 May 2002 08:14:26 -0000

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 04:21:31PM -0400, Greg Ferguson wrote:
> Well, first off you need to tell us that. In which case we do our
> best to track down the author via google, etc. If we have no luck
> finding the author, we add it to the unmaintained documents list
> found at:
>
>   http://tldp.org/authors/unmaint.html
>
> Someone can then pick it up and own the doc.

No they can't (unless it's public domain).  Even when a doc permits
modification, the original author continues to have a part ownership in
the copyright.  Of course if one can contact the original author and
such an author agrees, then the ownership may be transferred.  In case
of joint ownership, both need to agree to change the license and this
can help keep the license free if one owner wants to change it to a
non-free license.