discuss: Bugzilla? [Was: Re: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]]

Subject: Re: Bugzilla? [Was: Re: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]]
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 17 May 2002 08:14:23 -0000

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 11:28:11AM -0500, David Merrill wrote:
> Yes it does, and I understand the new version greatly improved the
> mail support, although I don't know personally.
>
> We do need a Bugzilla, and in fact I in this rare case am absolutely
> going to insist on it, for Lampadas. Whether and how to use it for
> docs is a separate issue, but I *must* have a bug database for the
> Lampadas project. I will ask iBiblio if they will host.

Documentation bugs are quite different from software bugs.  Authors may
read over their docs from time to time and make corrections themselves.
I've done that a lot.  These are not filed as bug reports, but a note
might be made in the revision log.  So what's wrong with readers
contacting the authors directly and then the author making a note in the
revision log (if the change is significant).  Since bugs found by the
author are not reported, why is there a need to officially report bugs
found by readers and sent directly to the author?

One valid reason for using a bug reporting system is where the author
fails to acknowledge a bug report sent directly from a reader.  Then I
think that the reader needs to make an official bug report.  If someone
else takes the doc over, this will provide a record of bugs for the new
maintainer to work on.  Also, LDP can try to contact the author, show
her the unanswered bug report(s) and ask what's happening.

One reason for being non-responsive is that people may get busy with
other things and not have time to read and respond to their email.
I sometimes feel like I should take a long vacation and send all my
email to /dev/null.  I'm sure some people actually do something like
this.  They might just dump it all in a mail folder (or the like) and
never have time to get back to it.  Or if months later they do have
time, the email is too stale to respond to.