discuss: Re: Beginning of outline for policies

Subject: Re: Fwd: Beginning of outline for policies
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2002 22:08:52 -0000

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 04:40:24PM -0500, Joy Y Goodreau wrote:

> Many of the comments in the original draft of the policy statement are
> informational, but not really policy. They are more of procedures than
> policy. Let's make a mistake on the side of brevity. We can always expand
> later.
>
> Some policy statements. These are not agreed upon policies, yet, but I am
> putting them out there as an example of the types of statements we are
> looking for. It would help if some of the staffers could add the policies
> for there areas to the draft.

Are you soliciting opinions?

[...]

> Unmaintained document policy
> Documents are placed in "unmaintained" status when the original authors
> surrender the ownership of the document .

I think there is problems with some docs that are just silently
abandoned. They are unmaintained in a sense, but nobody knows that, so
they don't get labeled as such. I would suggest adding something
like:

 Any document that has not been updated in the past year, is subject to
 review...blah...

And then dump to unmaintained, or archive or wherever.

.02

--
Hal Burgiss