discuss: Re: Beginning of outline for policies

Subject: Re: Fwd: Beginning of outline for policies
From: "Joy Y Goodreau" ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2002 21:40:56 -0000

Many of the comments in the original draft of the policy statement are
informational, but not really policy. They are more of procedures than
policy. Let's make a mistake on the side of brevity. We can always expand
later.

Some policy statements. These are not agreed upon policies, yet, but I am
putting them out there as an example of the types of statements we are
looking for. It would help if some of the staffers could add the policies
for there areas to the draft.

Document submission policy:
New documents submitted to the LDP are subject to an editorial review
before being published on the site. This review is assigned by the
Collections Editor to evaluate appropriateness and usability of the
document. Documents that are not able to be reviewed within 10 days will be
placed within the LDP collection conditionally until the appropriate review
can be conducted. Once reviewed, authors have an unlimited amount of time
to incorporate review comments and re-submit the document for inclusion
with the LDP main collection.

The LDP can refuse any document after review and subsequent revision if
that document does not meet the organization's standards.

Review policy
Documentation is expected to be of high quality. LDP staff members have the
right to call for a technical review of the document if it does not meet
the LDP standards.
NOTE: For review procedures, see the "Reviewers HOWTO."

Unmaintained document policy
Documents are placed in "unmaintained" status when the original authors
surrender the ownership of the document . An unmaintained document is
available for new maintainership by contacting a staff member or a public
LDP list.

Documents that are unmaintained and out-of-date can be archived by the LDP
staff at the suggestion of LDP members or general community agreement.

Joy Y. Goodreau
Linux Information Developer
LDP Collections Editor
Ofc. (512) 838-4118
T/L 678-4118
####@####.####

                      Tabatha Persad
                      ####@####.####        To:       ####@####.####
                      om>                      cc:
                                               Subject:  Fwd: Beginning of outline for policies
                      05/14/2002 06:40
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      tabatha3

Subject: Beginning of outline for policies
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:09:01 -0400
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
To: ####@####.####

Hi there everyone,

I've started a rough sketch.   Of course, there could be more issues that
we
need addressed and added, but I wanted to throw something out there and see
what comes back!

Here's a start:

1.  Overview of Editing Processes
             * Introduction - This could contain some information about the
fact that the
LDP has a team of editors to assist, and an overall picture of what service
editors are trying to provide to authors.  It might take the scare out of
the
process to know that editors are working to help improve quality and
readability, not hack apart the author's work.  A good area to establish
the
mission of the LDP and why this is beneficial to the community.
             * Language Review - This will be a broad description of the
sentence level
editing performed by editors, and examples of other things that may be
recommended or changed by editors.  This should outline what types of
changes
the editor would make, as well as when author consultation would and would
not be necessary.
             * Technical Review - This would be the same type of review but
for the
technical content.  It is doubtful that the LDP could do this alone, but
we've been discussing the idea of bug tracking, and creating ways to enable
the community to participate with the right system in place.  We need to
develop some info for this section as soon as it's definitive.
             * License Review - Many existing and new documents come into
the LDP without
a license, sometimes without even a copyright.  Although publication of the
author's work can probably constitute as copyright, without the license,
either LDP or GFDL in place, this results in a document that no one
effectively has permission to change.  The license protects the author and
this should be stressed.  It should be included in their work - being
implied
because it simply resides in the LDP repository is not sufficient.

2.  Procedure for New Submissions
             * How long does the review take once I submit my document?
             * How are editors assigned?
             * What type of content should be submitted?
             * What type of text formats should be submitted?
             * Where can authors obtain help to format their text?
             * Discussing recommendations with your editor.
             * What you can do if you object to recommendations.
             * What if you have not responded to the review?

3.  Procedure for Existing Documentation
             * When do documents come up for review?
             * How does the review differ from a new submission?
             * How are editors assigned, and how long will it take?
             * Discussing recommendations with your editor.
             * What you can do if you object to recommendations.
             * What if you have not responded to the review?

4.  Procedure for Unmaintained Documentation
             * How does the LDP determine a document is unmaintained?
             * What steps are taken to contact an author who has not
responded?
             * Where can a list of unmaintained documentation be found?
             * How do I volunteer to take responsibility for an
unmaintained document?
             * Will the LDP review or maintain the document in any way
until there is a
volunteer?
_______________

I realize that a couple of sections are the same in 2 and 3, but I took
into
consideration the process might be different with two different types of
documentation, new vs existing.

Feedback, propose your changes, tell me if it's in the wrong order, you
name
it!  (ducking)

Tab

--