discuss: HOWTOs and Mini-HOWTOs

Subject: Re: HOWTOs and Mini-HOWTOs
From: "Joy Y Goodreau" ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2002 14:26:54 -0000

I agree that the two should be merged. I think this makes room for Quick
References and FAQ distinctions. It was interesting to hear the historical
context behind the difference. The difference between mini-HOWTOs and
HOWTOs was not obvious to me.

joy

Joy Y. Goodreau
Linux Information Developer
LDP Collections Editor
Ofc. (512) 838-4118
T/L 678-4118
####@####.####

                      "Greg Ferguson"
                      ####@####.####        To:       Gilles Lamiral ####@####.#### ####@####.####
                      um.sgi.com>               cc:
                      05/15/2002 07:50
                      PM

On May 15, 10:38pm, Gilles Lamiral wrote:
> Subject: Re: HOWTOs and Mini-HOWTOs
>
> > An observation; the distinction between HOWTOs and Mini-HOWTOs doesn't
> > appear to be a useful one.
>
> They should be at least in the same directory. It is boring to
> search the same things in several places.

I'm all for merging them together. I think people tend to
miss out on the mini's when they invoke the HOWTO Index,
which is most likely a primary jump-off point (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/).
They probably never click to get to the mini-HOWTO index.

The filenames/titles can stay the same, but I'm all for simplifying
the overall layout.

So other than for historical reasons, are there any other reasons why
the hierarchy should be maintained?

--
Greg Ferguson    * SGI principal engr / LDP contributor
SGI Tech Pubs    * http://techpubs.sgi.com/ | gferg(at)sgi.com

http://lists.tldp.org/