discuss: Dealing with poor maintenance by maintainers

Subject: Re: Dealing with poor maintenance by maintainers
From: john meshkoff ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2002 03:11:39 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 12:22:22PM -0400, Tabatha Persad wrote:
> > So far my list is fairly short - these are things that could definitely be
> > addressed by a process/policy manual:
> >  - Process for unmaintained or abandoned documentation
> >  - Licensing Requirements
>
> Licensing Requirements are in the Manifesto on our site.  Have you read
> it?  It may need revising.
>
> I'm thinking of writing a HOWTO on licenses.  It's my opinion that all
> the licenses that I've seen are unsatisfactory.

	That's a very good idea; when I wrote my (first) HOWTO, I didn't know
what to use.  I've seen a lot of variations in the HOWTO's I looked at
seeking an example; with so little consistency,  that didn't help, so I
used David's "boilerplate" example from the "manifesto".  That seemed
like maybe there should be more to it, but IANAL! :)

They don't protect the
> work from adding advertising to it (including animated advertising).
> The don't require that the only the latest copies be distributed on the
> internet, unless they are labeled otherwise.  In this HOWTO I would
> discuss these and all the other problems in detail.

	I definitely encourage you to write a good HOWTO on licensing; would
really help beginners like myself.

Thanks, John

--
John Meshkoff johnm at sivakalpa dot org
http://www.sivakalpa.org/