discuss: Confusion about GNU FDL

Subject: Re: Confusion about GNU FDL
From: ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 2002 11:55:10 -0000

David Merrill wrote:
> [...]
> I would ask you to have none of those sections.
> They are not really useful unless you are an
> actual publisher who intends to sell the book.

I have a related question about item 4.A:

# In addition, you must do these things in the
# Modified Version:
#
# A. Use in the Title Page (and on the covers, if any)
#    a title distinct from that of the Document, and
#    from those of previous versions (which should, if
#    there were any, be listed in the History section
#    of the Document).  You may use the same title as
#    a previous version if the original publisher of
#    that version gives permission.

This seems to make a fork of the project a bit difficult.
OTOH it is not specified how many and what kind of
characters suffice to make a title distinct.

Anyway, in the Author Guide the complete text of the
FDL is included as appendix A. OHTO the Reviewer HOWTO
contains this:
# [...] and is released under the terms of the
# GNU Free Documentation License, which is hereby
# incorporated by reference.

What, that's all? No URL, no version number of the license,
nothing about special sections. Can it really be that simple?

http://www.gmx.net