discuss: Dealing with poor maintenance by maintainers

Subject: Re: Dealing with poor maintenance by maintainers
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 13 May 2002 16:06:19 -0000

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 04:01:31PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> Le Dimanche 12 Mai 2002 19:05, David Lawyer a ?crit :
>
> >The second aspect is keeping up with developments in the topic and
> >adding the latest info on the subject to the doc. ?It's hard to tell if
> >this is being done. ?Only the maintainer knows. ?And not always, since
>
> I cared of this in my own web site sorting the docs by date. There is the
> 1999 work... the 2002...
>
> as so, the user can know if the document is old or not.
>
> old document are very valuable - you may know that linux accomodates very
> well old hardware, but not in it's recent distros...
>
> an other way should be to pair each howto with a wiki page  for users
> remarks/todo list.
>
> anybody could write his concern, even if the maintainer don't answer (this is
> different from the present lampadas wiki). Of course this works only for an
> online action.

Drumroll, please....

	Lampadas!

Bet you are *all* getting tired of hearing that. It dices! it slices!
I folds your laundry! hehe.

But seriously, one of Lampadas' core goals is to do exactly what you
describe, and in fact to help solve this whole entire problem. Rate
documents, so we know where to focus our efforts. Get feedback from
users, right where it needs to be so we *and* the author can see what
needs to be done. And, for docs not "maintained" (or maintained, but
where the author gives the go-ahead), we can have authors-at-large who
go around doing those tweaks on them, as the suggestions, bug reports
and such come in from readers.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

DOS will be with us forever. We've learned how passionate people are about
DOS.
	-Former Microsoft Vice President Brad Silverberg