discuss: Re: LDP Anniversary]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: LDP Anniversary]
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 13 May 2002 04:01:21 -0000

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 02:48:19PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 11:07:37AM +0200, Guylhem P Aznar wrote:
> > On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:25:46AM -0400, Andy Oram wrote:
> > > I have been lurking for some time, but I noticed that you'd
> > > like to publish something in celebration of this event.
> > > Probably, the O'Reilly Network staff would be willing to put
> > > something on the linux site. It would have to have a hook to
> > > make it seem like something special is happening; perhaps
> > > you could talk about recent improvements and achievements.
> > > Anybody up for writing something? I have no time,
> > > unfortunately.
> >
> > If no one else has some time, I can write a short page (using the
> > interview and Mark email) to present what was existing in 1992, and what
> > is existing now.
>
> Sorry about the mistake of Mark K. Johnson instead of Michael K.
> Johnson.  I had it right in my history file which is only a few
> sentences long plus Matt W. comments.
>
> I think that an honest history is the best.  This includes covering
> serious problems we had: Our HOWTO coordinator going AWOL and the rise
> and fall of Open Source Writers Group OSWG).  Some of our author posted
> their HOWTOs with OSWG due to the long delays we had at LDP.  The most
> recent problems include that of the domain name (and being down for a
> few days), as well as Red Hat's dropping us.  It makes interesting
> reading to show how in spite of various setbacks, we were able to
> overcome them.
>
> Some organizations sanitize their history and only publish positive
> statements.  But I think the negative ones are important too.  If an
> organization does fail, one can examine the negative aspects and
> understand why.  Some organizations that only put positive statements
> in their history, suddenly fail and no one seems to understand why.
> With negative statements, it's possible to learn from past mistakes so
> as not to repeat them.  But even so, it's said that the biggest lesson
> of history is that we never learn from the lessons of history but
> continue to repeat the same (or related) mistakes over and over.
>
> The license flame wars of 1998 were interesting too.  But the license
> problems still remain.

I agree completely. No sanitization is required or appropriate. We
operate in the open, warts and all. :-)

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

When law and duty are one, united by religion, you never become fully
conscious, fully aware of yourself. You are always a little less than an
individual.
	-- from "Muad'Dib: Ninety-Nine Wonders of the Universe"
	by the Princess Irulan