discuss: Dealing with poor maintenance by maintainers

Subject: Re: Dealing with poor maintenance by maintainers
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 2002 23:56:42 -0000

I agree, David.

Since I feel like a member of an Open Source community, I don't think it
would be unreasonable if the LDP told me when submitting my new howto that in
the event I become unreachable, I allow permission for a member of the LDP to
ensure my documentation remains up to date.

Most people can generally agree on standards that improve the quality of
their work.  As I mentioned, if this point of view disturbs a potential
author, they are more than welcome to maintain their own documentation as
before, this is only meant to be a provision if the work has been abandoned.
(I still think it's a great way to keep an author from abandoning the work
too.)

Otherwise the repository becomes a library of dead documentation.  And that
doesn't help anybody.  I would see this standard as a step in the right
direction from an author point of view, since if I can't be available to
help, then someone else will, all to keep my original document "in
circulation."  After all, just because I stopped maintaining it, doesn't mean
I wouldn't still get credit for being the original author.  No harm done to
me!

--
Tabatha Persad
Web: http://www.merlinmonroe.com