discuss: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]

Subject: Re: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 2002 23:47:39 -0000

Luc, et al.,

Perhaps with this bug tracking/fixing in place this could be minimized.
"Process" can be a dirty word, but not when it means we could be more
productive!

In this scenario, whoever is technically savvy enough to deal with the issue
can view the bug, make recommendations and then the author/maintainer will
simply fix it, or a delegate from the LDP, as long as that provision's been
made I guess.

Also, I think it should be the author's responsibility to consider an
alternate contact if their own time is already compromised for revising their
own work.  Perhaps one of the mailing lists at the LDP, so that MANY people
are aware of it., and can pick it up.

Then authors would not be so intimidated by hundreds of messages, and there
could be an additional feedback reference to back up the author.

For example, I wrote a HOWTO for The Linux Counter project.  It's an open
source document, but only revisable by area managers, since they are the only
ones who have access to the admin page.

I stated in my copyright that in the event that someone wanted to make
revisions, they can request me to do it, or alternatively suggest the
revisions to the mailing list and let their peers okay the changes before
doing it themselves.   This way I am not the person solely responsibile for
the content either.  The folks there know that there are alternatives rather
than waiting for me to respond!

Makes myself feel ten times better knowing I have that safety net.  The LDP
needs this.  As an LDP newbie at the LDP, I have been hesitant to grab
projects because of not wanting to step on toes, this would add a lot of
clarification as to what needs to be done and make me feel like I have the
ability to just jump right in where it's needed.

I know it's getting there... I'm a patient grrl.

In a world where the LDP is regularly updated and managed and all the docs
are up to date, it will make the package that much more attractive to distros
wanting to include them.

--
Tabatha Persad
Web: http://www.merlinmonroe.com