discuss: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]

Subject: Re: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 2002 20:24:32 -0000

On May 12,  1:08pm, Tabatha Persad wrote:
> Subject: Re: ####@####.#### HOWTO doc's in 7.3]
> Hal,
>
> I relate completely! I tried to do editing for one of the howtos
> only to find  out the original author is gone without a trace,
> no email, no web site.
>
> After several bounced emails, I have had to move on to try my luck
> editing  another document, but it does leave me frustrated.  The
> HOWTO still has some  value, but with the author gone, I have no
> idea what's going to happen next.

Well, first off you need to tell us that. In which case we do our
best to track down the author via google, etc. If we have no luck
finding the author, we add it to the unmaintained documents list
found at:

  http://tldp.org/authors/unmaint.html

Someone can then pick it up and own the doc. We've also had
unmaintained docs that have been corrected by someone but
still remain on the list (individual did not want ownership,
but wanted to fix a couple bugs, for example).

> There's now this big hole in the wall where there used to be an author.
>
> I would also love a definitive procedure for authors who abandon their
> documents; is there one?

Well, what I've decribed above it what David and I have had in
place for a year or so. Is it written down somewhere? No.

regards,
--
Ferg