discuss: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]

Subject: Re: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 2002 20:01:34 -0000

Hal,

I relate completely! I tried to do editing for one of the howtos only to find
out the original author is gone without a trace, no email, no web site.

After several bounced emails, I have had to move on to try my luck editing
another document, but it does leave me frustrated.  The HOWTO still has some
value, but with the author gone, I have no idea what's going to happen next.
There's now this big hole in the wall where there used to be an author.

I would also love a definitive procedure for authors who abandon their
documents; is there one?  Joy is aware of this now "authorless" document, so
I suppose it's dealt with, but it left me with this feeling of incompleteness
on my part.

As sad as it is when an author decides they no longer want to maintain their
work, these documents are typically free-licensed.  That should give the
green light for someone else to hop in and update or refresh old information
IMHO, as well as take credit.  Who knows, it may give the original author a
reason to come back and take a renewed interest in their own document.

I guess being a writer by trade I just can't understand why someone would
abandon their work.  However I think it's not a strong enough reason to allow
a document to become outdated or obsolete.  A strong effort to get these
documents revised and back into circulation with recent info would be
something I would totally support.

Tabatha

--
Tabatha Persad