discuss: Dealing with poor maintenance by maintainers

Subject: Re: Dealing with poor maintenance by maintainers
From: Sayamindu Dasgupta ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 2002 19:11:45 -0000

hia,

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 22:35, David Lawyer wrote:
> Unfortunately many of our HOWTOs (and other docs) are poorly maintained.
> It's something we need to deal with and find a new maintainer if the
> existing one doesn't have time to adequately do it.  There are a couple of
> different aspects to maintaining a doc.
>
> One is fixing any real bugs people report (with bugs including lack of
> clarity).  If a bug is important, it needs to be fixed fast.  Other bugs
> can wait a while, sometimes a few months if it's just a typo where
> people can easily figure out what you really meant to say.  Maintainer
> refusing to help people with problems is OK, unless the problem is that
> the HOWTO doesn't cover something it should.

How about a list of bug reports that people submit in the LDP site
itself ??
for example, for, say, Example Configuration HOWTO, there can be a
publicly viewable "bugs" section where people can submit bugs, and then,
until the a particular error is fixed, it is there in the list of "known
bugs"
a standard disclaimer can be added to this saying that this "known bugs
page" is not a part of the official HOWTO, and the author is  not
responsible for the section

> So what do we do about this?  For one, we can establish a different
> organization of docs that need work, rather than just "unmaintained".  I
> tentatively suggest:
>
> 1. Unmaintained
> 2. New-Maintainer-Needed
> 3. Co-Maintainer-Needed
> 4. Obsolete

hmm...good idea, this will help the authors also

> 			David Lawyer

-cheers-
Sayamindu