discuss: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]

Subject: Re: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 2002 23:08:21 -0000

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 06:07:14PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> Out of the 12 documentation bugs I've received and forwarded to authors,
> the only one that has yet been fixed on the LDP's site was the one that
> I fixed myself because the document was unmaintained. I think two or
> three of my mails got acknowledgements from the author to the effect
> that they'd be fixed soon.
>
> Have I just been unlucky? I'm used to volunteer projects, but the
> response rate seems pretty low.

Hard to quantify, but I've always had mixed results too. I think there
is a problem with people wanting to document their experience, then
'donating' to LDP, and think its a done deal. Or have some life
change, and don't think its worth the time or effort to fix a 'free'
doc. Three of the HOWTOs I have now were listed as 'maintained' but
the authors totally ignored repeated mails. One of those was one I had
contributed to, and I "knew" the guy, and he still ignored me for
several months. All I wanted was for him to spell my name correctly.
I fixed that the hard way :/

--
Hal Burgiss