discuss: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]

Subject: Re: [tfox@redhat.com: HOWTO doc's in 7.3]
From: Colin Watson ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 2002 14:54:47 -0000

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 07:32:36AM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> Since we've lost RedHat as a distributor of our HOWTOs, and since Debian
> is irrationally splitting them,

Quite rationally, since some of the documents don't meet the criteria
for the main distribution. Woody is releasing without any split (apart
from the long-standing -text and -html). At the moment only about a
quarter look like they'll be in non-free, and I will continue to work on
decreasing that number.

(We've had this flamewar though, or at least /. has. I'm no happier
about it than you.)

> If the distributions are not going to supply them adequately,
> shouldn't we make our own RPMs and debian packages?

The scripts that produce the Debian packages are publicly available (via
http://packages.debian.org/doc-linux-text) and reasonably
well-documented. Of course feel free to fork the packages if you aren't
satisfied with them, although it would be a shame to duplicate effort
and have things get out of sync.

Are the scripts that produce the packages for other distributions
available? I'd like to have a look at them.

--
Colin Watson                                  ####@####.####