discuss: linuxdoc format (was Re: OpenOffice.org)

Subject: linuxdoc format (was Re: OpenOffice.org)
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2002 07:35:43 -0000

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 07:48:42AM +0200, jdd wrote:
> I personally think that the difficulty of the ldp file format is one
> of the obstacles that prevent authors from joining us. do you notice
> the huge number of docs outside the ldp? none are in linuxdoc/docbook.
> jdd

I agree and that's why I've been suggesting the encouragement of
linuxdoc.  Some think plain text is OK but linuxdoc forces one to organize
the document into "chapters" (sections) and sub-sections <sect1>.

It also requires a title, the author, and date.  It automatically
generates a table of contents.  The extra bother of using linuxdoc is
worthwhile just for the automatic generation of revised tables of contents
when one adds to the document.

But if we can't agree on promoting linuxdoc, then I'm even in favor of
having some of our docs in plain text and encouraging people to submit
docs in plain text which we'll leave in plain text for the author to
update.  If we do accept plain text we should have a few simple rules
like giving the author's name and email (perhaps scrambled), date and
version number.