discuss: OpenOffice.org

Subject: OpenOffice.org
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 14 Apr 2002 07:33:32 -0000

Dear fellows,

I have the great chance to have Guylhem Aznar as a friend and he agrees with
me to the following.

As you may know, the main technical problem for the LDP is the lack of a
free, open source, widely spread text  processor able to give a valid
docbook/xml formatted document.

authors using rarely this format -as I do- are very uncomfortable with
emacs/vi use for that sake.

At the same time a great project, namly OpenOffice.org (www.openoffice.org),
the open source side of sun's Star Office is to release it's Version 1 and
use an XML format.

this format is as so:

the file is no more than a zip  file. If you unzip it with any archiver, you
see a tree like this:

root
--/xml
--/images
--/equations
--/(... any kind of object)

the texte part is xml, DTD defined. each object format is in it's own
directory and it's own format, for example images in jpg.

this format is of course competely open, beeing DTD defined.

It is so very near from docbook/xml.

So It's possible to make scripts to convert such files in any kind of ldp
compliant format.

in addition, OOo is able to read and so convert most of the know text
processors formats.

I will do three proposals:

1) accept as an experimental process some documents in OOo format in the ldp
document base,

2) open contact with OOo developpers to ask them to add a "docbook" export to
OOo programm.

3) contact other similar project (debian doc, koffice developpers) with the
same goal.

I already begin the point 2 and let you know of any answer.

of course this doesn't exclude any of the previous docbook processing tools
for peoples familiar with them, but I think we are still loosing a great part
of the documentation for lack of friendly text processing capability, hence
this proposal.

jdd

--
<http://www.dodin.net> ####@####.####