discuss: Some ideas on General Style

Subject: Re: Some ideas on General Style
From: Hugo van der Kooij ####@####.####
Date: 13 Apr 2002 16:38:42 -0000

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Martin WHEELER wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Tabatha Persad wrote:
>
> > Style Don'ts:
> > - Sexist or gender specific language
>
> This is a culturally-dependent concept, affecting mainly N. Americans.
> Personally I'm proud of my (British) linguistic heritage; have an
> excellent reading background in a variety of texts written in English
> over the past six centuries, and don't suffer from any sort of semantic
> constipation in the language.
> My personal attitude is to stick to historic usage (known and
> recognised), and eschew late 20th C. fads, experimentation and
> uproarious attempts at social engineering.  (see Australian Government
> Manual of Style recommendations on lexical items such as 'manhole
> cover'.)

Nice sample of how it should not be done in LDP documents. English is not
my native language but I can handle it reasonably well. (I hope ;-)

But in this paragraph you managed to include several words that are not in
common use and can only be understood if you take the time to fetch a good
dictionary.

Take in acount that a significant part of the readers is not native to any
form of the English language and use more common phrases to make your
message clear.

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    ####@####.####		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/