discuss: Filesystem paths in LDP documentation

Subject: Filesystem paths in LDP documentation
From: Colin Watson ####@####.####
Date: 13 Apr 2002 15:04:13 -0000

Hi,

I have http://bugs.debian.org/128917 open about the use of /usr/doc,
/usr/man, and /usr/info in LDP documentation. Now that many
distributions are moving or have moved to the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard with /usr/share/{doc,man,info}, it seems like it'd be
reasonable to start referring readers to those locations instead.

The bug opens a wider issue, though. To what extent do readers of this
list think it's reasonable for distributions to patch their LDP packages
to refer to locally-appropriate paths? On the one hand, it may alleviate
confusion when readers find documents referring to paths that aren't on
their systems. On the other hand, the document probably won't be perfect
for each distribution anyway unless the author planned it that way, I
suspect most authors would rather that distributions didn't make local
changes without passing them back, and I doubt I have time to go around
carefully patching the whole LDP all the time.

I'm strongly inclined to distribute only verbatim LDP documents.
However, does anyone have any suggestions about what else I might do
with this bug report, or general ideas about best practices for
distributors?

Thanks,

--
Colin Watson                                  ####@####.####