discuss: packaging policy

Subject: Re: packaging policy
From: Gregory Leblanc ####@####.####
Date: 1 Apr 2002 18:45:58 -0000

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 11:27, David Merrill wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 09:43:41AM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 06:17, David Merrill wrote:
>
> > > It seems that is a lot of stuff to go in cvs just to build the
> > > package, and I don't recall seeing it done in other cvs trees,
> > > although I only looked at a couple. I'm frankly lost, and I don't want
> > > to fumble around in the cvs tree doing things in a half-assed way.
> > > I'm sure some of you have experience doing this, and I don't. Am I
> > > approaching this correctly? Do you have any pointers on how this
> > > should be done? I would appreciate your advice.
> >
> > That seems horribly, uhm, messy.  Normally, if you want to distribute
> > the packaging/build instructions, you just put them into the source.  If
> > you have one and only 1 something.spec in your tarball, then rpm has the
> > smarts to create an rpm from the tarball in 1 step.  dpkg can do the
> > same thing, if you create a debian/ directory under the top-level
> > directory, and if that contains all of the right debian bits.  It really
> > doesn't make sense to put tarballs into CVS, nor rpm/dpkg archives.
> > I've not checked out the code from CVS just yet, but I'll do that
> > shortly (erm, right after I fix the plumbing, that is).
>
> I thought it seems very messy, but that's how it's documented in the
> New Maintainer Guide, http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/. I guess
> I will dig deeper into the dpkg documentation to find the easier way.

Hmm, weird, I'll have to contact some of the debian folks I know, after
I read that.

> I am curious why putting tarballs in cvs doesn't make sense. Seems to
> me it's an important file to be held onto, and cvs is the logical
> place. You certainly know what you're doing, though, so I assume my
> logic is faulty somewhere?

CVS is a revision tracking system.  It's designed to track the changes
between revisions of something.  It's storage format lets it store 200
or 200000 different revisions of a given text file very efficiently, and
allows you to arbitrarily compare them.  Tarballs are binary files,
which CVS can't effectively gather change information on.  So, it just
has to store a completely new file every time you add another file,
completely removing the benefits of CVS.  So, tarballs, and most other
binary file formats, are really best stored on a plain filesystem
somewhere.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.