discuss: packaging policy

Subject: Re: packaging policy
From: Gregory Leblanc ####@####.####
Date: 1 Apr 2002 17:44:56 -0000

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 06:17, David Merrill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend to me the Best Practices way of generating and
> then storing RPM and DEB packages from the cvs source? I am thinking
> of creating a pub/ directory under the two utilities I want to package
> (wt2db and texi2db), which would contain the binary packages.
>
> To make packages the Debian way, you create a directory named by the
> program and version (e.g., texi2db/pub/texi2db-0.1/, and put the
> .tar.gz there. Then you unpack the .tar.gz so you have the source code
> underneath as well in its normal hierarchy (redundant, I know). There
> is a subdir of there called debian/ which contains lots of control files
> that tell dpkg how to build the package. I feel these should go into the
> cvs. The build system is a part of the code, after all.
>
> So, the proposal is to have the actual .tar.gz, .rpm, and .deb files
> all in texi2db/pub/, with a subdirectory under there for each release,
> and a subdir of *that* called debian/, which is where the build system
> goes.
>
> It seems that is a lot of stuff to go in cvs just to build the
> package, and I don't recall seeing it done in other cvs trees,
> although I only looked at a couple. I'm frankly lost, and I don't want
> to fumble around in the cvs tree doing things in a half-assed way.
> I'm sure some of you have experience doing this, and I don't. Am I
> approaching this correctly? Do you have any pointers on how this
> should be done? I would appreciate your advice.

That seems horribly, uhm, messy.  Normally, if you want to distribute
the packaging/build instructions, you just put them into the source.  If
you have one and only 1 something.spec in your tarball, then rpm has the
smarts to create an rpm from the tarball in 1 step.  dpkg can do the
same thing, if you create a debian/ directory under the top-level
directory, and if that contains all of the right debian bits.  It really
doesn't make sense to put tarballs into CVS, nor rpm/dpkg archives.
I've not checked out the code from CVS just yet, but I'll do that
shortly (erm, right after I fix the plumbing, that is).
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.