discuss: LDP Style Guide

Subject: Re: LDP Style Guide
From: "Tabatha Persad" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Mar 2002 09:31:23 -0000

I have taken some time in the recent past to read the Gnome Style Guide.  It
is exhaustive.  Ok, er, comprehensive.

Perhaps I'll go back and take another look and find some of the key
components that do comprise at least the fundamentals - organization of
material in a logical approach, and explanation of technical material in
relation to the target audience.

One thing that they seem to be big on in the GDP is the grammar of the
documents, for translation purposes.  Some things don't translate very well
from English to other languages, such as contractions (don't, you're, it's),
which they discourage for that reason.  Point of view, in the case of
writing TO the reader, makes it easier for the audience to relate to.  GDP
also discourages a lot of slang and anything that may be unclear.  They go
on to suggest pages of do's and don'ts in this regard.

I think, personally, one of the best ways an author can let their
personality out is to write a small introduction or foreword, and then
proceed with writing the rest of the documentation in a friendly but
appropriately articulate manner.  The reader will already have an idea of
what the author's personality is like without having it constantly injected
throughout the documentation, which (and I speak from experience) could
interfere with following given instructions.

Some thoughts.

Let me know if I can help sketch out a TOC.

Thanks!
Tabatha