discuss: LDP Style Guide

Subject: Re: LDP Style Guide
From: "Joy Y Goodreau" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Mar 2002 21:29:08 -0000

I'm sorry but I am going to have to disagree with you. The GNOME Style
Guide definitely serves its purpose inside the GNOME project, but it is not
a Style Guide for developers. It is very much like traditional style
guides. Simply referencing a style guide in order to have one is not the
ideal here. We need a usable style guide that helps our authors write by
addressing their needs in their terms. I do not think that we want the
level of control that the guide represents. If a document like a style
guide is hard to use, writers simply don't use it. What happens then is
that it becomes the editors and reviewers job to enforce all the rules that
the developers did not understand.

If there is a large out cry from writers that have looked at the GNOME
Style Guide and are ready to write by it and have the reviewers stick to it
for our publication policies, then please let me know. I will stand
corrected. I just think it will create a lot more work for the editors, and
I don't think that the majority of the writers will use it.

thanks,

joy

Joy Yokley Goodreau
Linux Information Development
IBM Linux Technology Services
512-838-4118
####@####.####

                      David Merrill
                      <david@lupercalia        To:       ####@####.####
                      .net>                    cc:
                      03/19/02 03:44 PM

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:29:04PM -0600, Joy Y Goodreau wrote:
> I am interested in putting together a style guide for the LDP to guide
> reviewers and authors in publishing  and maintaining high quality
> documentation. Unlike other Style Guide projects in existence, this would
> be tailored towards developers, not toward individuals who already know
> what "gerund phrases" and "dangling participles" are. In fact, this Guide
> will try a new approach to style by providing an easy-to-use reference
for
> style that includes, instead of excluding, would be writers.

I spoke to the Gnome people about using the Gnome Style Guide, or
adapting it, or something. They were agreeable; I ran out of time and
never did anything with it. It is very good, but a bit Gnome-specific.
You'll find it on the GDP page. It might be helpful.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

It's fair to say that the Internet promise has become the newest market in
our economy, and access should not be controlled by any one company.
Microsoft currently enjoys a monopoly that controls more than 90 percent of
the desktop computer today.
 --Retired US Senator & former presidential candidate Robert Dole

http://list.linuxdoc.org/