discuss: Virus HOWTO

Subject: Virus HOWTO
From: "Joy Y Goodreau" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Mar 2002 06:08:10 -0000

Alexander do you have enough information from us for some revisions as you
have the time? When you have completed a document you are happy with and
are "really" ready to go public, please let us know. Once you are really
ready to publish, I'll help put together a review team of volunteers from
the list for your document and give you some feedback on a more finished
product.

I, personally, would like to apologize to you for this going so far out
onto all the lists. I know that you put it on the website specifically for
us (the LDP) to look at and get feedback from and did not intend on your
draft version of the document being made so public. Hopefully we will have
better methods for this in the future. My hope is that it does not deter
other authors who inquire about the fit of their document for the site.  Of
course if it gets to hairy you can take the document down to give you time
to work on it.

Regardless of how we weighed in on your document, I think that we all
appreciate you being open and discussing the difficulties with your doc. I
know that I was glad to see your posting to the list and addressing issues.

joy

Joy Yokley Goodreau
Linux Information Development
IBM Linux Technology Services
512-838-4118
####@####.####

                      David Merrill
                      <david@lupercalia        To:       ####@####.####
                      .net>                    cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: LWN.Net has a link too
                      03/14/02 07:33 PM

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:12:36AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:

> > > http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/14/1011233 > > The
> >

> > It's also posted on lwn.net and there's no mention about it being a
> > preliminary document.
> >
> > http://www.lwn.net/daily/

Unfortunate for Alex's bandwidth. At least so far it's not on
Slashdot. Er, forget I said that. Look at this... *flash*

I surmise that someone who strongly supports free speech sent it to
the press to make sure it was 'published' even if the LDP didn't
publish it. :-)

> Fortunately the article is terse, one paragraph. There is a link to
> the HOWTO on Alexander's server. Also fortunately, Alexander has a
> summary of the document which indicates its immature state and refers
> to the discussion on this list. Good work, Alexander.
>
> --
>
>           -- C^2
>
> The world's most effective anti-virus software: Linux.

Ironic, that. ;-)

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

The company has defended its products by arguing that as the largest
software company, their products are subject to more attacks, which is
true in some cases but certainly not in the case of IIS, since it holds
only a minority share. Security experts believe the problem is due to
fundamental design decisions that were made in favor of usability rather
than security. Usability experts dispute this, saying Microsoft software
is weak on that front too.
 -- Wikipedia article on Microsoft

http://list.linuxdoc.org/