discuss: suspending and removing docs

Subject: Re: suspending and removing docs
From: "Joy Y Goodreau" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Mar 2002 04:50:44 -0000

I think it would be a good idea for LDP members to become actively involved
in reviewing and rating documentation on the site. Who better to check out
and rate the docs than a community that stays involved and interested in
documentation.

I think an excellent solution would be for the rating system to cue a
specific review of the document in question.  The call for reviewers would
go out to the discuss list and reviewers could volunteer based on their
areas of expertise.  Reviews of the document would involve multiple
reviewers (2 or 3) offering feedback and areas of improvement along with
good, positive criticism. This way we are not only excluding documents but
improving them. Should the author fail to make the adjustments, the
document is pulled. The reviewers will be able to make this call based on
the revision the author submits.

If the document is pulled we are still left with an excellent outline from
the reviewers of what would make a good document on that topic.

I know that this is more complex than a simple vote, but I am hoping that
it also allows us to vote more fairly because we can say that the document
does have good information in some parts but is wrong in others. This way
we can keep the good and make the bad better.

I am open to other suggestions.

Thank you,

joy

Joy Yokley Goodreau
Linux Information Development
IBM Linux Technology Services
512-838-4118
####@####.####

                      David Merrill
                      <david@lupercalia        To:       ldp-discuss ####@####.####
                      .net>                    cc:
                                               Subject:  suspending and removing docs
                      03/14/02 10:23 PM

How do we want to get documents suspended from publication, or even
pulled from the collection? We have now had two documents reported to
us that need to be improved or they need to be pulled. The first was
the PostgreSQL one that we pulled awhile ago.

Shall we leave that to the discretion of the Editor? And I understand
Joy is new in that role, but I've worked with her quite a bit and
found her always professional, reliable, and sound of judgement. So
take that for whatever you think it's worth.

I have in the database a way for you to rate each document on a scale
from 1 to 10. Only once per username, of course. You must be a
registered user. Therefore, we have a metric we could use. Shall we
remove a document if its rating is lower than 3? Requiring at least 10
votes, to make sure it uses a sizeable number of data points, of
course.

We need some kind of democratic process so we can make this kind of
decision. Any other ideas glady considered.

I don't mean to single anyone out by this, either. We will continue to
raise our standard of quality, and we should.

Thanks,

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Gates is trying to make sure that he has a proprietary position in
controlling the tools that allow you and me to access information. And
that's profitable by definition. How would you like to own the printing
press?
 --PaineWebber Media Analyst Christopher Dixon

http://list.linuxdoc.org/