discuss: suspending and removing docs

Subject: suspending and removing docs
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 15 Mar 2002 03:31:40 -0000

How do we want to get documents suspended from publication, or even
pulled from the collection? We have now had two documents reported to
us that need to be improved or they need to be pulled. The first was
the PostgreSQL one that we pulled awhile ago.

Shall we leave that to the discretion of the Editor? And I understand
Joy is new in that role, but I've worked with her quite a bit and
found her always professional, reliable, and sound of judgement. So
take that for whatever you think it's worth.

I have in the database a way for you to rate each document on a scale
from 1 to 10. Only once per username, of course. You must be a
registered user. Therefore, we have a metric we could use. Shall we
remove a document if its rating is lower than 3? Requiring at least 10
votes, to make sure it uses a sizeable number of data points, of
course.

We need some kind of democratic process so we can make this kind of
decision. Any other ideas glady considered.

I don't mean to single anyone out by this, either. We will continue to
raise our standard of quality, and we should.

Thanks,

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Gates is trying to make sure that he has a proprietary position in
controlling the tools that allow you and me to access information. And
that's profitable by definition. How would you like to own the printing
press?
	--PaineWebber Media Analyst Christopher Dixon