discuss: Virus-Writing-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Virus-Writing-HOWTO
From: Steve Sanfratello ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2002 18:06:53 -0000

On Wednesday 13 March 2002  3:42, ####@####.#### wrote:

> > So if it were me, and I wanted to 'soften the image' problem
> > so to speak. I'd change the title to something less 'in your face'
> > sounding.
>
> Difficult. Any suggestions?

Virus-Theory-HOWTO
Virus-Technique-HOWTO
ELF-Infection-HOWTO
Infection-Process-HOWTO
ELF-Segment-Hole-HOWTO

all of the virus hype will make most people have
a very strong reaction any time they see the word
'virus' in the title.  tone it down by not using that
word.

> That 'perspective' thing sounds interesting.
> Though a lot of work, because then I would have to
> provide a complete survey of the field, not just a
> glimpse on other people's toys.

i think a glimpse is fine.  comprehensive would
be better, but not necessary.

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 10:01, David Merrill wrote:
> The fact that it *can* be used to commit a crime won't make me against
> it. But if it has little or no other value, then I will be against it.
>
> I will also ask that there not be incendiary content (which I think
> the "power of the dark side" is).

it does have an educational value to programmers.  the
English in the HOWTO has educational value to the
non-programmers.  it does have some suggestions for system
administrators on detection and vaccination.

i thought that the "power of the dark side" comment was strait
out of a very popular movie, a popular and standard comment
and it was amusing.  but maybe amusing doesn't jibe with such
a volatile issue.

On Thursday 14 March 2002  9:58, ####@####.#### wrote:
> My log-files show 1451 different IP-addresses

people are very interested.

- but any more improvements in it's redeeming qualities will
help tone down the hype.  any statements to tone down
the hype will help balance out people's initial shock value
and let them read the infomation with a clear head.
- give people links to more info. on infecting and protecting.
- make a statement in the end to wrap up what you wrote
which is honest and as over-hyped as "the power of the
dark side"

the LDP should release it because it is factual.  it is
educational.  it will be popular.  it will help tone down
any virus hype by showing the realities of an infection.
both the Windows hype that viruses are everywhere and
the Linux hype that Linux is immune.  it allows people to
think about the realieis of prevention.

--