discuss: Should the PHP Howto remain in the LDP?

Subject: Re: Should the PHP Howto remain in the LDP?
From: Mark Komarinski ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2002 16:01:16 -0000

I took a look at the document and I found that there is a lot of
editorializing.  I guess I (or the LAG) could be guilty of that as well,
but there's a difference between writing a sentence or two with opinion
and whole sections.  Some of these opinions are based on wrong facts.
Example from http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PHP-HOWTO-1.html

    *  PERL is "YUCKY" (distasteful) because it is hard to read and
maintain the programs. Not object oriented.

followed by

    *  Only PHP will prevail in the 21st and 22nd century!

I can write unreadable PHP code just like anyone else, but both PHP and
Perl have OO capabilities.  And if my code is still around
100 years from now, well..uhm..yeah ;)

I'd recommend a tech review (I'll help) followed by a reorganization of
the entire document.  Filtering out the editorializing may be a result,
but could erupt in a mini-flame-war if the reviewer and author disagree.

-Mark