discuss: Virus-Writing-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Virus-Writing-HOWTO
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2002 13:39:09 -0000

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 09:29:27AM +0100, ####@####.#### wrote:
> David Merrill wrote:
> > [...]
> > Rename it to the "Virus Writing and Protection HOWTO",
> > and make the content also equally (at least) balanced
> > between the two. There should be no attack documented
> > whose corresponding defense is not documented.
>
> The last point is already fullfilled. It just seems that
> people have a problem reading it from reverse angle.
> My idea behind title and document is to view the issue
> from beneath a black hat, try my best, and eventually fail.
>
> I'll take Charles Curley's advice and add that explanation,
> amongst others, to the document. I plan to release that
> updated version this weekend.
>
> Anyway, I do have a problem with the surrounding hype.
> All I wanted is a CVS account and a little feedback.
> Care and attention for a troubled soul, so to speak.
>
> What I have now is false projections of what it is,
> and lots of suggestions of what it could be.
> I consider my document, as it is, to be little more
> than step-for-step instructions on writing exactly
> one very limited virus, including prove that is it not
> good enough.

I'm sorry for my misunderstanding about the content. It was an
honest mistake on my part and not an attempt to smear you or the
document.

Thanks for being willing to work with us on it. :-)

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Asked how small software companies could compete on products that Microsoft
wants to fold into Windows, [Microsoft COO Bob] Herbold told Bloomberg News
they could either fight a losing battle, sell out to Microsoft or a larger
company or 'not go into business to begin with.'
	--Newsweek, March 1998