discuss: Virus-Writing-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Virus-Writing-HOWTO
From: Alexander Bartolich ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2002 00:49:42 -0000

Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
 > Frankly, I'm quite shocked at the negative reaction to this paper,
 > much of it long before having a copy to actually read.

IMHO we are speaking of three different things, not just two:

- I won't have that shit on my information-highway
- Move on cowboy if you don't like it here
- Let's shove that thing onto every distribution and every hard-disk

 > I take it from the comments that there is a significant
 > contingent of the LDP who _agree_ with the DMCA [...]

Fishing for flames, are you?

There are enough sites out there, either message-board
style or private repository, that would host my cruft
(or perhaps not, there is no innovation contained).
My contribution to the game is scientific reproduceability
and the crazy idea that it is ready for mainstream media.

To me there is strong evidence that David Merrill knows what
he is doing. And if he advises me to change it, I'll try.

 > [...]
 > Let's forget covering our asses over imagined lawsuits.
 > At worse, we revel in a bit of publicity while we put our
 > actions where our mouths are in the realm of EFF-isms.

Yeah! This is the right spirit!

IMHO this discussion has similarity to the Free Software vs.
Open Source debate. Some people just want useable documentation
for day-to-day problems. While others want to change the world.
But then I probably should not jump the queue.