discuss: Virus-Writing-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Virus-Writing-HOWTO
From: ####@####.####
Date: 13 Mar 2002 08:42:57 -0000

Greg Ferguson wrote:
> [...]
> So if it were me, and I wanted to 'soften the image' problem
> so to speak. I'd change the title to something less 'in your face'
> sounding.

Difficult. Any suggestions?

> I'd add something to the disclaimer to the effect that the
> doc is not meant to encourage system violations.

This may be required to avoid legal hazard.
But as a whole I consider it childish.
After all the introduction ends with the (famous last) words:

# Use the information presented here in any way you like.
# I bet that Linux will only grow stronger.

I may have to eat my words. But then a disclaimer won't help.

> And maybe a very brief Summary or Conclusion section
> at the end, to re-enforce some of the comments
> in the intro after all the heavy lifting is done.

Interesting idea, though I doubt it would be brief.
I could also take this thread as base of a FAQ.
Or just collect all my responses (thus declaring
this mailing list my scratch-pad).

> On another note, since Alexander seems to be an
> authority on the subject,

Oops. No. I want to make this very clear:
I have no reputation with either camp,
simply because I am a nobody.

I expect a lot of flak from black-hats and other
ethically handicapped because I dare to write
the authoritive guide to a subject I did not invent.

And on the other front I anticipate hostile response
from established security people; either accusing me
of irresponsibility or playing down the danger.

So I'm very anxious to gather facts and working examples
before giving mighty speaches on the meaning of things.

> I'd be curious also to see some references to other
> articles on the topic in an Appendix or References
> section.

I had that on mind. Though with low priority.

> Maybe links to concrete examples of Linux virii like
> the so-called RST-B or whatever it was that made
> so much news, but AFAICT, has not done any damage.
> This could give some perspective too.

That 'perspective' thing sounds interesting.
Though a lot of work, because then I would have to
provide a complete survey of the field, not just a
glimpse on other people's toys.

http://www.gmx.net