discuss: Virus-Writing-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Virus-Writing-HOWTO
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 13 Mar 2002 00:51:12 -0000

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:11:39PM -0500, Greg Ferguson wrote:

> > > http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/~k3032e4/virus-writing-HOWTO/_html/
> >
> > Looks quite sane to me :/ I just had time to read the intro, but
> > that took care of my concerns. I was worried it might be something
> > it is not :)

> Please look the entire document over when you have a chance.

Well, I tried, but the code is too far over my head :) So I have to
stay safe with the plain 'English' parts.

> Although I also like/appreciate the intro, my personal feeling is that
> the document itself appears to be a "cookbook-style guide to
> destruction".  Even the sarcastic(?) closing remark - "Feel the power
> of the dark side!" - tends to make me uncomfortable with this type
> of document (maybe that's a bit harsh; call me prudish, but...).
>
> However, the LDP does have the Firewall Piercing HOWTO available,
> so I feel the LDP would be hypocritical not allowing this document
> into the collection. On the other hand, I would like to see the
> document slanted towards more of a "white hat" style - e.g. now
> that we have the cookbook, how can the one defend themselves
> appropriately against the "cooks"?

Well, my perspective is tainted now by discussion and the author's
comments. So I have a different perspective than what a casual reader
might have. And what my first impression was from just the title. But
after carefully trying to weigh pros and cons, I don't have any
problems with it personally speaking.

But, I go back to my first impression, and wonder how many others will
have the same re-action? Then, I take the other side and say 'should I
worry about what others think of LDP, and Linux'? Maybe I shouldn't,
but I do. Call me prudish too (maybe we are same generation :). Then
again, it's but one doc out of many hundreds. I don't think the image
can take too much of a beating from one doc.

So if it were me, and I wanted to 'soften the image' problem so to
speak. I'd change the title to something less 'in your face' sounding.
I'd add something to the disclaimer to the effect that the doc is not
meant to encourage system violations. And maybe a very brief Summary
or Conclusion section at the end, to re-enforce some of the comments
in the intro after all the heavy lifting is done.

On another note, since Alexander seems to be an authority on the
subject, I'd be curious also to see some references to other articles
on the topic in an Appendix or References section. Maybe links to
concrete examples of Linux virii like the so-called RST-B or whatever
it was that made so much news, but AFAICT, has not done any damage.
This could give some perspective too.

--
Hal Burgiss