discuss: Virus-Writing-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Virus-Writing-HOWTO
From: Alexander Bartolich ####@####.####
Date: 12 Mar 2002 23:05:38 -0000

Martin WHEELER wrote:
 > [...]
 > So, Alexander; thanks for allowing us to read the full text
 > as it stands -- but how do you feel about slanting it a bit
 > more "white-hat"-wards?

I don't have a problem with adding information,
should it be a disclaimer, precautions-for-dummies or
bottom-line-for-managers.
However, this is a document written for developers,
and I can't think of a good way to mix that levels.

You are certainly right that I am rather on the opposite end
of dead-serious (but then you should read authentic stuff).

I too fear that it might harm the credibility of LDP.
But as I stated before, I do have political ideas behind
coming to this place with my document.

I don't consider viruses a threat to Linux (given my strict
definition of the word, not the media term meaning any
autonomous software doing harm). And I would like it,
if Linux was the one system that went all the way to
openess, then a few miles more, and still be safe.

There are some secondary issues. Like the uttmost rebuttal
of DMCA: If we are willing to host information endangering
our interests, why can't you just keep DeCSS in peace?

And it might be interesting to introduce the concept of
speculative disclosure (listen, it might be a problem)
in a time where big vendors consider autocratic disclosure
(if you say just one word before we fixed it and
marketing gave ok, we'll sue you 'till you are broke).

But obviously I am an irresponsible weirdo emerging
from the pits of the net, so don't give too much on it.

I see a few possibilities to continue:

+ Somebody volunteers as co-author.
   I have no trouble giving up control on the text,
   as long as all facts are there, and all code is
   left working as it is.

+ LDP (who is that?) rejects the document and clarifies
   the mission statement. The whole procedure might give
   interesting discussions on slashdot. After all it means
   a change from 'freedom' to 'responsible freedom'.
   Or whatever.

+ LDP accepts the document, whith our without clear words
   about political implications. This will certainly give
   hot flames on slashdot. And a raised eyebrow on other places.

+ I forget about Snow White (but keep the JPGs).