discuss: virus writing HOWTO

Subject: Re: virus writing HOWTO
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 11 Mar 2002 15:08:56 -0000

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 10:32:26AM -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> Marinho Paiva Duarte ####@####.#### writes:
>
> > Of course we should never deny any kind of information to be
> > public, but don't you thing we should take care with a document
> > like this? Other important point: Is it legal/lawful??? Is like to
> > show how to build a bomb...
>
> We learn how to build basic bombs at school.

Godoy, did you go to military college :) Mine didn't teach any such
thing.

> Virii study should not be illegal anywhere, but I can't say it
> isn't. On the other hand, criptography is also considered a
> non-legal thing in some countries and we wouldn't be discussing
> here if some HOWTO or document showed how to enable GPG use on your
> MUA or how to use it to crypt personal files.

This is not a good comparison. Almost anyone using GPG is using it to
protect privacy, whether the technology is legal or not in a given
country. Yes, there are people that misuse it to conceal illegal
activity, but still for most it is just for simple privacy protection.
While the overwhelming number of people writing viruses (virii?), do
so just to cause damage and trouble. Not everyone, but surely most.

That being said, and after hearing the author's point of view, I am
more inclined to say 'yes'. I would like to read it first, if it is
published somewhere already. Google says no. Or someone please mail it
to me :) I can post it here locally if others are interested in
reading it.

I think the title gives the impression of 'here's how you too can
cause real trouble using Linux', so I hope this impression is softened
in the intro.

--
Hal Burgiss