discuss: virus writing HOWTO

Subject: Re: virus writing HOWTO
From: Nicolas Chauvat ####@####.####
Date: 11 Mar 2002 11:42:54 -0000

> > I think it's pretty easy to modify an existent virus to make a new one, but
> > very difficult to build a really new.
> > It should not be a good idea to spread infos allowing anybody to compile a
> > destructive virus.
>
> The LDP is about teaching people. I learn ASM while studying some basic
> virus like kilroy. I don't see a single good reason why we shouldn't
> distribute such information, which is already available everywhere.

While we're at it, I'd suggest we forbid american movies that teach kids
that you can kill someone but cutting his throat off... or shooting
him... or pushing him from the balcony... or, hmm, you get the point.

Computer security is not hate speech or child pornography, let's not
confuse the two. If you do not know how it works, how do you want to fight
it? Very simple precautions can be taken while writing code to prevent
basic exploits. It is surely better for everyone to know about these
simple exploits and precautions than to hide that information and let
every programmer make the same silly and simple mistakes that will
eventually be exploited. Security thru obfuscation was proved never to
work. Like Guylhem, I do not see any good reason why not to publish that
document.

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)