discuss: virus writing HOWTO

Subject: Re: virus writing HOWTO
From: Ari Makela ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2002 11:45:36 -0000

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 10:47:57PM -0500, ####@####.#### wrote:

> I think it would be a big mistake to start watching what's unacceptable in
> some countires and what isn't. x

I must disagree. We must not publish documents without thinking this
at all. LDP is used and, more importantly, mirrored world wide. In
countries where there are very different legal systems. Somewhere
distributing Linux Virus HOWTO might well be illegal. Someone might get
in trouble - remember how Americans threw Skylarov to jail because of
DMCA? We don't want some innocent mirrorer to get in troube, do we?

I don't say that material that is illegal in some countries must not be
published but if we're going to publish controversial stuff like Linux
Virus HOWTO then we should give some thought how me mirror things.

No-one, of course, can know laws of all the countries, but everyone of
us has heard about DMCA, US patent laws and Australian security laws.
Russia and France do not allow cryptography. There must be other silly
laws around.

The HOWTO, according to David Merril, has only destructive content. One
wonders why anyone write's such a HOWTO without any white hat content.
Security through obscurity does not work, but I still do think that LDP
should not publish this unless white hat stuff is added. I would like
to, but I don't know enough about these things beyond very general
matters.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w --  Ari Makela ####@####.#### http://arska.org/hauva/ #