discuss: virus writing HOWTO

Subject: Re: virus writing HOWTO
From: Derek Vadala ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2002 07:51:13 -0000

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, jdd wrote:

> don't forget computers are more and more essential parts of our life, even
> planes can fall if they computer crashes and desaster can arise.
>
> vital installation (atomic plants?) are not always so protected than to not
> use windows ;-(. I think USNavy use windows ;-(

While the pervasiveness of computers means that a computer virus could
disable systems that would inevitably cause fatalities, this isn't the
same as raping a child or hijacking a plane and crashing it into a
building, and those were the comparisons drawn.

In any case, it seems that I am in the minority on this issue, so I'm not
going to fan the flames any further. I think that a Linux Virus HOWTO has
relevance, and a place with LDP, but if it isn't developed from a certain
perspective I understand that some individuals will see that as supportive
of illicit behaviour. The Catch-22, in my opinion, is that by rejecting
the HOWTO and not giving it a chance to be read by a large audience, it
will never be further developed to include whitehat information. Wheras,
by putting on LDP we demystify it, immediately giving it positive
potential. Leaving it buried on the web just means that the kids will
think they stumbled onto something forbidden when they do find it.

---
Derek Vadala, ####@####.#### http://www.cynicism.com/~derek