discuss: New Editor

Subject: Re: New Editor
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2002 02:20:12 -0000

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 04:19:54PM -0500, David Merrill wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 03:58:18PM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 11:46:44AM -0500, David Merrill wrote:
> > > I have decided to step down as the Collection Editor. I've given it a
> > > lot of thought over the past few months and feel this is the right
> > > decision for me and for the LDP.
> >
> > Are you still the HOWTO coordinator?  That means that people who want to
> > write a HOWTO get an reply from you to their proposals.  Since we have
> > more than just HOWTOs, perhaps you're now the "document coordinator".
>
> Greg has always been the HOWTO coordinator as long as I've been here
> anyway. The Editor role definitely overlaps with HOWTO Coordinator. I
> guess you could argue that it is almost the same thing in fact,
> although in practice we didn't butt heads, but worked together.
>
> Honestly, it's too big a job for any one person. :-)
>
> > There's also the question as to whether or not proposals for HOWTOs
> > should be sent to the mailing list.  When Tim Bynum was HOWTO
> > coordinator (and previous to his tenure) such proposals were sent only
> > to the coordinator.  This meant that there was a lot less stuff on the
> > list, which encouraged more authors to follow it.
>
> I think they should be posted. We have had several occasions where more
> people wanted to help once they found out about a doc on the list. We
> can always make a new list for authors ####@####.#### if we
> want a lower volume list for authors to use.

Why not have a separate list for new howto proposals, including
proposals of taking over maintaining existing howtos, etc.?   In a few
cases, postings could be cross posted to the discuss list.

This is in response to subsequent posts:  Most of the people who don't
want to see all the howto proposals, etc. have already left the list.
So those that remain are mostly willing to look at them.  So even though
you like to look at these, others would rather not be distracted by
them.