discuss: New Editor

Subject: Re: New Editor
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 8 Mar 2002 22:45:06 -0000

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 03:06:31PM -0500, Greg Ferguson wrote:
> Can you (David) recap the duties/responsibilities of the
> Collection Editor please? Thanks.

The general duty of the editor is to improve and maintain the quality
of the content. That includes things like inviting submissions of
articles, conducting reviews, identifying and dealing with outdated
information, etc.

The editor also should try to coordinate HOWTOS, directing volunteers
to assist with existing HOWTOs rather than duplicate work.

One of the specific things I did was started a review activity.
Success there has been limited but still very real, since a
number of documents have been reviewed and improved. This is something
I hope future editors will continue to expand and improve.

I also sent out many emails to authors to prod them to update. Many of
them did in fact update their docs, and our average age since last
update went down by quite a bit while I was editor.

I wrote to authors whose documents didn't include a license statement,
or whose licensing was proprietary, to prompt them to license
properly. Our "Free" (meaning DFSG-Free, allowing docs to be in ALL
Linux distributions) percentage also went up by about 10 points.

Those are some specific examples, but the role as *I* see it is to
improve the quality of the content. Anything and everything which
serves that end is fair game for the editor to tackle, imnsho. :-)

hth,

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Microsoft is - and will be - important, but it's hard to predict this stuff.
Say you'd been around in 1980, trying to predict the PC revolution. You
never would've come and seen me.
	--Bill Gates in Wired 2.12