discuss: Wikipedia articles on the LDP

Subject: Re: Wikipedia articles on the LDP
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2002 05:54:48 -0000

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 07:16:05PM +0100, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> David Merrill wrote:

> >>I'd say take your first cut, put it up and let people comment once they
> >>can see it. My guess is you'll then get many suggestions and quite a
> >>few contributions, and it will change a lot later on.
> >>

> >That's a great idea. I will put it up on my own mirror of the LDP, so
> >everyone can see it in action, then we can talk about it in concrete
> >terms.

There's a mini-LDP posted on janus.lupercalia.net, but it won't mean
anything to look at. It's just a plain, boring page. What's
interesting is how it was generated, from xml sources using xslt.
That's because the database exports xml meta-data, and I run it
through xslt to turn it into the docbook-xml-website DTD.

I'm using an older version, the DTD has been massively reworked. I've
never gotten the java extensions to work on my machine. We'll want to
fix that, and port over the rest of the LDP pages. But all that is
down the road. Much underlying work needs to be done first. Once I get
texi2db complete, I'll turn to the docbook to database uploader.

Unless somebody else wants to start it. You'll need to parse the
docbook xml and write it into the database using SQL. There will be
obstacles to overcome, like matching up authors. We have an author ID,
but you'll only have the email -- and many authors don't include their
email in the document. So there will be stuff like that to straighten
out on the way.

> I agree; this sounds interesting. It would be interesting to see some
> statistics on wiki usage.

Wikipedia displays their usage statistics. I think they're probably
the most dynamic Wiki right now.

> >>A couple of projects I think might be quite useful, if someone has
> >>time for them, would be:
> >>
> >>	text RFC to RFC-DTD XML converter, so we could have all RFCs
> >>	  in a common, modern, format
> >>	RFC-DTD to DocBook
> >>
> >>Could your Wiki work be extended in that direction?
> >>

> >Sure. I could add an [[rfc:9999]] namespace, which would link to the
> >RFC. I'll add that to my TODO list. :-)
>

> Perhaps also add namespaces for TRs and FAQs?

No problem, happy to do it. Somebody needs to write the converters,
though, and we have to have a dependable mirroring system.

> >I don't know if mirroring the RFCs is that good of an idea, though.
> >They are normative documents, unlike the other things. Not that I'm
> >sure it's a *bad* idea, either. I'm gonna have to ponder for a bit,
> >though.
>

> These are all useful documentation, many of which are referred to
> by various HOWTOs. It is for instance not possible to write extensively
> on networking (DNS, News, dhcp etc) without referring to RFCs.

Yes, that makes sense. Okay, I'll support including RFCs then, after a
copyright check.

> Anyway, this brings up my old, old proposal of writing a file hierarchy
> standard for LDP documentation work. These days I am very busy and have
> sadly not found time to respond quickly to LDP traffic but the first
> draft should be up soon.

I'll comment on that separately. :-)

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

I think the most thoughtful feature in Windows is the blue screen. Such a
nice, soothing color, just when I need soothing the most. Now if only it
could play that mellow newage startup music during hard hangs.
	--Unknown