discuss: Review Group Update and authors@linuxdoc.org

Subject: Review Group Update and authors@linuxdoc.org
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 23 Feb 2001 20:50:43 -0000

I will try to post an occasional update to this list for those who
have any interest in our review progress.

Well, things are going so well I am almost giddy. I said *almost*. :-)

We have a guy working to set up a perl web bsed interface to a
database for storing our data. We're developing it on my home machine
but will want to move it onto the LDP servers sometime once it has
gotten stable and useful and is in production use.

There's an alpha HOWTO for reviewers at
http://www.lupercalia.net/ldpr/LDP-Reviewer-HOWTO/ with more info that
I won't bother to repeat here. You can read the HOWTO if you're
interested in how we're organizing the actual process.

I haven't heard back about my request for an ####@####.####
list, probably because it was buried under another topic name. Or does
nobody care? What, no flames? You guys are free software people,
aren't you? Or are you all suddenly Microsoft shills or something? I
put it in the subject line this time so it wouldn't be missed. See
yesterday's mail for the whole proposal; I won't repeat it in full.

Suffice it to say that one major problem I always have is dead emails
and no way to talk to authors, and I would like to resolve that by
using a new list. Also, I want to facilitate authors being a more
active part of the LDP community without having to follow all of our
internal stuff about which they don't care a fiddle, they don't care a
fig.

Okay, last piece of news is that the review group is offering its
services to all authors who are working on new documentation. If you
want to have it looked at for grammar and other issues before you
submit it, we will do so. We're going to get to it eventually anyway,
but we'd like to take a look before submission - eventually this will
become standard practice, I hope, but let's take a stab at a few docs
for now and work out the kinks before we try to take on too much.
The totally random quote in this message seems somehow appropriate.

Thanks!

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

The ripest fruit falls first.