discuss: Possible Titles ?

Subject: Re: Possible Titles ?
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Feb 2001 20:19:39 -0000

On Feb 23,  1:34pm, Patrick K. O'Brien wrote:
> Subject: RE: Possible Titles ?
> Greg & Company,
>
> Can you explain a little more about your CVS tree? Is there some
> documentation available? How would it compare to SourceForge and
> what they have to offer?

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/cvs.html

Discusses the CVS tree. It's not as sophisticated as what's
been built w/SourceForge, but it certainly suffices for us
at this point - it's a storage mechanism with a decent hierarchy.

Docs are laid out by type:

     cvs_root/LDP/{howto, guide, faq}/{docbook, linuxdoc}/

Can be put in their own subdirectory if need be. This is esp.
true with those that are comprised of multiple source files
and/or mediaobjects.

e.g.:

    cvs_root/LDP/howto/docbook/Printing-HOWTO :

    CVS                        snapshot-gpr-printer.png
    Printing-HOWTO.sgml        snapshot-gv.png
    index.sgml                 snapshot-lyx.png
    printers.sgml              snapshot-xpdq-main.png
    snapshot-abiword.png       snapshot-xpdq-options.png
    snapshot-gpr-common.png    snapshot-xpp-main.png
    snapshot-gpr-main.png      snapshot-xpp-options.png

Web-based access available: http://cvsview.linuxdoc.org/index.cgi/

As I indicated, authors that utilize the tree can then
email ####@####.#### when they have a version of
their document that is ready to be published. We do not
do this automatically (say, each night). It's up to the
author to inform us when the document is ready.  See
http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/submission.html

I'm not sure if this fully answers your question, so let
me know if you have any specific questions.

> I'm also open to any suggestions you folks might have for getting
> involved. Just go easy on me. I've spent too many years with Windows.
> And while I'm loving every minute of Linux, it hasn't exactly been
> easy. Here are my current plans:
>
> Get Progeny / Gnome configured so I can get stuff done.
> Get PSGML working with Emacs/Xemacs
> Find a place on the Internet to CVS my files
> Write about CVSing DocBook files
> Write about SourceForge and what they have to offer
> Write about the LDP and what it is all about
> Write about Progeny Debian
> Write about How to be an Open Source Writer (said to the Beetles tune)

Check our Author's resources area for additional info:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/authors/#resources

One way to help would be to join David Merrill's review team. That
would give you a good understanding of the various HOWTOs available
and how this is all "put together".

Again, feel free to email w/specific questions -

--
Ferg