discuss: IDE-RAID HOWTO

Subject: Re: IDE-RAID HOWTO
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 5 Feb 2002 20:51:37 -0000

Mark Robinson wrote:

> I've just finished installing an IDE-RAID setup in Linux and I noticed
> the documentation is rather sparse.  I'm toying with the idea of writing
> an IDE-RAID howto, mostly for people with either the expansion cards or
> an on-board controller chip.  Any comments?

It might be worth noting there are actually 4 separate documents
that are related to RAID: the old RAID HOWTO, the new RAID HOWTO
and the Multi Disk HOWTO (written by yours truly) and then there
is an HOWTO specifically for the DPT range of RAID controllers

While the Multi Disk HOWTO refers to all the other RAID HOWTOs
I am not sure if those refer to other HOWTOs. I would therefore
conclude the documentation is not sparse but scattered.

Hardware IDE RAID solutions are becoming popular and I feel there
is room for a related HOWTO. I would also urge you to read all
the related HOWTOs (and comment of them if you have some inputs)
and refer to those where possible, saving yourself from repeating
preexisting parts.

Sometimes interesting snippets can be found in the most unexpected
documents. For instance I recently found the HP HOWTO contained an
interesting chapter on dimensioning a server.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen
(Autor of Multi Disk HOWTO)